Copyright: what do you have to deal with as a lecturer and where can you ask for advice?

As a user
If you want to reuse material from others in your own publication you can use the following standard methods: citing an paraphrasing. Always use source reference. The library has a handy tool for this, offers support and provides training. In addition, as a lecturer you can make use of exceptions in the copyright law for non-commercial education, and of the agreement that the Universities of applied sciences in the Netherlands have concluded Stichting Pro (the so-called reader scheme).

Reader Agreement
Educational institutions pay a fair compensation for copying from copyright-protected works which are included in educational publications. The HU is affiliated with agreements between the Association of Universities of Applied Sciences and various institutions that represent copyright holders.
The basic rules are explained in the 'Quick rules compiling digital readers'. Teachers can get more information about support from their supervisors.

Audiovisual materials
Slightly different rules apply for audiovisual material in educations, see the 'Basic rules for using audio and video materials'.

Using digital files
Usually, downloading and reusing digital internet files on an educational platform is not permitted. However, linking to a lawfully published source is always allowed. You can also reuse files from a number of HU databases.

As an author
If you create educational material yourself, copyright is usually owned by the Higher Professional Education (HBO) Institutions as an employer. Here we follow the Dutch Copyright Act (Auteurswet) section 7 and the Collective Employment Agreement for the Higher Professional Education Sector (the CAO-HBO). There must be an employment, so for PNIL members, for example, this does not apply. Furthermore, this only applies if the employee has written the publication for work purposes and for the benefit of the employer.

If you create educational material with several colleagues outside the HBO institutions, then the copyright may be owned by different people or institutions.

The agreements made within the University of Applied Sciences relating to the copyright of documents created by teachers, employees and students are recorded in the auteursrechtenregeling HU (in Dutch).

If you want to publish material which you developed for the HU at a commercial publisher, it is wise to make agreements with a supervisor or team leader. The HU supports Open Access and Creative Commons, so will always have a preference for non-exclusive licenses when reusing material.

For questions you can contact: auteursrecht@hu.nl