The HU Copyright information point (AIP) gives information and support regarding copyright in higher education.
We are in contact with the HU Legal Department and Information Management. HU AIP is affiliated with the national platform of AIP at other educational institutions in the Netherlands.
You can contact us at: email@example.com.
Students and teachers can contact us for advice, workshops or presentations on:
how to find material that you can re-use
what are creative commons licenses
what forms of re-use play a role in education
how to cite & reference text, images, video
what databases within the HU are available and if and how you can re-use materials from them
liability during internships outside the HU
differences between Dutch, and international rules for copyright in higher education
General information on copyrights in education in the Netherlands can be found here:
Students keep copyrights for their own original work. Publishing of student work is always on a voluntary bases.
If a company where an internship is fulfilled wants to claim rights, it is advised to put down an agreement in writing.
Re-use of materials, copyright proof
If you place materials in one of the HU electronic learning platforms for non-commercial purposes, we strongly advise you to follow these rules:
- Describe the use of the material (title, source, part of lesson) in the educational outline.
- Always give a reference to your source
- If possible use a link instead of uploading a full text PDF
- If it is inevitable to upload a pdf, use one of the following three options
- use material with a Creative commons license
- upload a PDF with a short part of the original work (less than 10.000 words, not more than one third of the original work)
- if a long part is necessary, be sure to get permission from Stichting Pro in advance
Prepare your upload by adding a cover sheet, mentioning at least the reference, the name of the course, the date and that the material is for personal use of HU students only
Your library colleague can help by:
- offering links to materials within the HU databases with educational and scholarly materials
- support with determining whether a text is a short or long part.